What you will learn
Welcome to Agricultural marketing !!
MERU UNIVERSITY COLLEGE OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
DEPARTMENT : AGRICULTURE
COURSE TITLE : Production Economics and Agricultural marketing
PROGRAMME: DIPLOMA IN AGRICULTURE
COURSE CODE : BUS 0161
This is an introduction principle of production economics and agricultural marketing that covers topics. The breath of topic coverage limits the course objectives to subject matter mastery. The course will present factual material concerning the principles farm accounting and use of farm accounts and records in modernising management.
The ability to critically evaluate and demonstrate the highest cognitive mastery of the matter will be required. It is important that understanding be achieved at all levels of the course. Therefore, students will find that the quizzes and examination will deeply test the application or critical application of the subject matter.
There will be no grades assigned for class participation but students are encouraged to own the class by actively participating in classroom discussions. The opportunity to have open discourse, to participate, to disagree is good to a student’s learning process; students should critically evaluate economic issues and to critically test and challenge the classical thoughts.
Continuous assessment tests = 40%
End of semester examination = 60%
- Production function
- Factor - factor relationships
- Product – relationship
- Least cost combination
- Principles of substitution
- Classical production function
- Classification of agriculture markets
- Market structures
- Quality issues in marketing
- Characteristics of agricultural products
- The promotion mix
- Marketing Functions
- Saleemi N.A (2010) Economics simplified, ACME Press Nairobi.
- Mc Gachern, William A economics: A contemporary introduction. South western publishing Co.
- Bernard Show, John et al, Economics: A student’s Guide 5th Ed. Pearson Education LTD.